Sunday, May 26, 2013

Race Recap #3: Morgan Hill Sprint Tri

I raced my third tri on May 19.  When I first started signing up for races, I went all out.  I didn't have the anticipation of hiring a coach initially, so didn't go into my race schedule with specific planning.  I was just so excited that I signed up for all the local races I could.  Since I just started with my coach, this wasn't an "A" race and wasn't doing a taper or anything specific before the race.  I was just basically using the race as a training day.

The race was located at Uvas Reservoir again...same location as my first race.  I'm super familiar with that area and have done the majority of my long bike rides surrounding the race course.  On Saturday, Sean and I rode the bike course twice, then I did a 30 min. transition run.  I felt great, and made sure to trigger point and wear my Zoot recovery pants the night before.

Race Morning

4:30 wake up call, standard waffles with peanut butter and honey, then I was off.  Transition opened at 5:30 and I had hoped to get there as close to it opening as possible, but I took longer than anticipated getting ready - story of my life.  I got to the race around 5:50, and luckily there were still some decent transition spots still open.  As I do more races, I am starting to see some familiar faces at the races, which is awesome.  And two of my FNS teammates were also running...yay!



The FNS team: Me, Marc and Nancy

Swim: 3/4 mile, 24:01
The calm before the storm
I finally got a pink swim cap!!!!  So exciting.  The water temp was about 10* warmer than it was for the Silicon Valley Sprint Tri...about 70 degrees!  It was a deep water start again.  The past two swim starts were tough for me...I would try to go out too fast, my heart rate would be out of control, breathing would be difficult.  It always took a few minutes for me to get out of the scrum, take a deep breath, and find my own stroke and swim my own swim.  This time, my goal was to start off more relaxed and not try to race the swim right off the bat - just get comfortable and then start swimming harder. And it worked!  I felt good from the start.  And although we were swimming towards the rising sun, I had my TYR nest pro nano metallized goggles, so the sun was no problem and I was able to sight the buoys just fine.

T1: 1:28

Easy in and out... and I made sure my timing chip was on tight.  This was also my first venture with my Garmin... unfortunately, I had the auto pause feature set, and it messed up all of my segments.  So after the swim, it skipped past T1 and the bike.  I had the longest T2 ever recorded, but was still able to get splits for all three sports.  User error that I hopefully have learned from!  Auto pause has been disabled!!

Bike: 16 miles, 52:16

After riding the bike course the day before, I was excited to ride!  After a few easy rollers, the back stretch is mostly downhill until a 1 mile hill which I actually love.  It's the same distance as my first race, and my time improved by 7 minutes!!  I'm learning that each race is different because of the course, wind conditions, weather in general, so it's a bit difficult to compare times, however I'm pretty proud of my improvement.  I passed a few people, was passed by a few others, but made it back ready to run.


T2: 00:59

I almost ran out of transition without my race belt and bib, but luckily remembered it before I left!  Still made it out of transition in under a minute.

Run: 38:59


Me and my run buddy
This was the first run that I started out feeling great and where my calves didn't feel like they were going to explode.  Apparently doing a T-Run after every bike has been helping!  I had a buddy for most of the run which was nice.  She wasn't in my age group, so I knew there wasn't direct competition, but we definitely pushed each other for most of the run, trading off in front.  We passed a number of ladies who had passed me on the bike, which was encouraging!  I also saw lots of friends on the run - Jen from Concept, my ride buddy DM, and my FNSers.  I managed to drop my run buddy at about mile 4 and picked it up for the last mile.  


And guess what - I won my age group!!  This time I got my box of Clif bars in addition to my wine :)  I still have a ways to go to compete with the top ladies overall, but that's why I got a coach!!  



Overall Results:
Official Time: 1:57:43 Age Group: 1/16
Overall Female: 20/142

Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment