Tuesday, August 13, 2013

And the Tri-Sherpa Award Goes to...MY DAD!!


This week, I had the absolute best race sherpa/travel partner around…my dad!  9 years ago, when I was studying abroad in Spain, I was lucky enough to travel to Barcelona and Paris with my dad at the end of my study abroad session.  Since then, life has been busy for both of us, so visits are usually weekends, or him visiting during the week which means that actual visiting hours are squeezed in around business and training hours.  Also, since his retirement, my dad has become quite the world traveler and is gone for months at a time.

When I first found out that I would be competing in Age Group Nationals, I though I’d be making the trip solo.  The BF works weekends and couldn’t get the time off…my mom was teaching summer school and couldn’t find a flight that worked.  My dad was supposed to leave for Aman, Jordan on August 8, so he originally couldn’t make the trip either.  But travel gods were shining down on us and his trip was pushed back to August 14.  So I got a travel buddy!!!!
Seriously, it was such an awesome surprise, and we have had an amazing trip.  I could not give enough thanks for the selfless Tri-Sherpa role my dad took on.  From waiting around the hotel room while I squeezed in a swim and a run, to traipsing all around the expo and race grounds, he was up for everything. 
 
On Friday, I had to pick up my bike, ride my bike, go for a run, go for a swim, listen to the rules briefing, check my bike into transition, rest my legs, eat my pasta, and go to bed early!!  Phew! As stressful of a day as it was for me, I can only imagine how boring it must have been for my dad…to be sitting around, guarding my bike and waiting for me to be done with my training.  But he couldn’t have been more supportive and selfless throughout the day.  He guarded my bag while I was on my run, and babysat my bike while I was running.  And he walked back and forth with me from the hotel to the race site multiple times, to get my packet, to do my final training, and finally to check my bike into transition.
As for Friday night and Saturday morning, I know that I was quiet and sometimes short with him because I was so nervous, but my dad took it in stride and did nothing but offer to help and do anything I needed.  He repeatedly told me how proud he was, and offered encouraging words to no end.

On Saturday, my dad was a champion photog.  He was all over the course and was able to cheer me on in so many different spots.  He was up at the crack of dawn, foraged some extra bananas, followed me around for my bathroom stops and my transition set up.  He sat around while I chatted with my friend Erin.  He scoped out the best place to see the swim start.  He kept track of me on the swim in the mass of silver swim caps, and he caught the absolute greatest shot of me crossing the finish line with my arms held high.
Throughout my life, I have been so incredibly lucky to have the unwavering support of my dad in everything I did.  From the Panda Bears t-ball team, Baldy View Gymnastics, UHS Track and Field and now to my triathlon races, he has been the world’s best cheerleader.  He has encouraged me to achieve all the goals I have set and has never doubted that I would achieve them.  I couldn’t imagine going through my first experience at Age Group Nationals without him and I am so very thankful that I have had the past 6 days with him. 
Dad, I love you more than anything and I am truly the luckiest girl!  Thank you for your unwavering support and unending love.  I am so very grateful for the amazing father-daughter week we had!

No comments:

Post a Comment