Monday, November 9, 2015

Holy Cow...It's IMAZ race week!!!



Well…it’s race week! How on earth did that happen??? In less than 6 days, I will be lining up to start Ironman Arizona (IMAZ).  Honestly, it all feels quite surreal.  Over a year of planning, anticipation, and training have finally wrapped up.  I know that I am physically ready…I’m not nervous, I just can’t quite wrap my head around the fact that I will be racing for 140.6 miles next Sunday!

Last summer, Coach Muddy and I sat down to chat about my 2015 season.  After racing my first 70.3 (Oceanside), I knew that I wanted to “go long” and race a full Ironman.  Muddy says Arizona it is…then I had to wait and wait (you can’t register until the current year’s race is done).  Arizona is the last US race of the season, and it is so popular that you basically have to go to the race the year before you want to do it so that you can sign up on site.  SO in July 2014, I signed up to volunteer at IMAZ 2014.  Then I jealously watched friends sign up for race after race while I had to patiently wait until November to volunteer in order sign up on-site.
Finally November rolled around and I got my first full Ironman experience.  I volunteered at bike check in and watched athletes nervously check their precious bikes into transition the day before the race.  On race morning, I volunteered at body marking, writing race numbers on athletes, calming fears and pumping them up for the big day ahead.  Then I worked the Run special needs station (athletes can fill a bag with anything they think they might need during the second half of the marathon – ranging from more nutrition or clothing, to notes of inspiration…there was even a girl who whipped out her compact with mascara to prep for her finisher photo 13 miles later).  I definitely shed a few tears in excitement and relief as my friends made their way along the run course.

I knew several people racing and the whole day was incredibly emotional.  I was so excited and happy for all the racers, but also quite jealous because I wished I was out there racing too!  The next morning, bright and early, I was in line for registration, and my journey had begun…eek!
This past year has been a pretty exceptional training cycle.  It included the Coast Ride in January, Vineman Aquabike in July, and Santa Cruz 70.3 / Tahoe 70.3 (in back to back weekends in September).  It has been my most consistent year of training, and I actually loved getting in the pool (unlike years past where I would sit in my car going to the depths of facebook to procrastinate my swim workouts!!).  I finally grasped going slow to go fast while running, and did not miss a single bike workout thanks to my #tripletsforlyfe training buddies. 

I cannot wait to arrive in Tempe and get swept up in the excitement of registration and prepping for the race.  Throughout the week, a total of 12(!!!) family and friends will be filtering in to be my cheer squad and I couldn’t be more thankful for their support.  I can’t wait to be on the lookout for my mom’s bright pink shirts along the course. #gogogomez
I definitely would not have gotten to race week without these amazing people: Coach muddy – thank you for your support, guidance, and genius training plans; My Super Sherpa mom – thank you for being at every race, volunteering, ringing your cowbell, and making sure I get to the start line; My dad for always being my sounding board and constant cheerleader; Team Coeur – the best group of ladies for support, encouragement, motivation, amazing sponsors, and even better gear (so excited to be back on the team for 2016); Team Muddy Love – amazing training partners, especially on the track and our Wednesday night rides...truly a family!; My #tripletsforlyfe, Eileen and Jenesse – I certainly wouldn’t have gotten through this season without you two…thank you for hours of girl talk on the bike and while running, holding me accountable for my workouts, and being incredible sources of inspiration; and lastly my Husband – thank you for putting up with our messy house filled with tri gear and water bottles galore, and for your endless encouragement, enthusiasm, and love.

IMAZ starts at 6:50 am on 11/15 and you can track me on ironman.com...I'm #1131!

Happy Racing!

1 comment:

  1. Go go Gomez!! So so pumped for you and cannot wait to cheer you on from this side of the pond. Wish I could be there in person but know that I will be there in spirit and tracking every minute online. You are going to rock it and have so much fun. Love the shirts!!

    ReplyDelete