Thursday, April 11, 2013

Puzzle Master


I love logic puzzles.  I like having to work through things, move things around to get to the right answer.  I loved doing that when I took up rock climbing and bouldering.  And I have come to realize that is exactly what tri training requires…so I guess it’s a good thing I like it, right???  


My pedals and I seriously don't get along!  
I have a big binder full of my training plan and what I’m supposed to get done during the week for my swim-bike-run workouts.  If I was just doing those workouts, it would be hard enough to plan, around work and attempting to see the BF before crashing in bed at night.  But I also have my FIT (strength/cardio) classes at FNS that I need to schedule, and FLOW (stretching/trigger point), and errands, and being out of town, and rest days!!!  Seriously, when I look at my calendar, it’s like a giant puzzle that I have to rearrange from week to week in order to get everything in.  And every Sunday, when I sit down to look at my week it is a giant puzzle.  I definitely need a white board with every activity for the week magnetized so I can move things around until it is just so.

But just because I figure out my schedule on Sunday, doesn’t mean that I’m good to go for the rest of the week.  One missed workout or an unexpected activity can throw off all of the planning that was done and then it’s a mad scramble to rearrange the rest of the week.  I’m realizing that sometimes you just have to breathe and let it go.   

Last week was one of those weeks…It started out with a bite from my bike before my ride on Tuesday because I clipped in, then decided to let my mind wander.  Then I overslept on Wednesday morning and missed 2 workouts, which put me in a funk for the rest of the week.  Luckily it was a recovery week, and I didn’t miss too many miles, and I got back on the horse on Saturday morning with a great 10.5 mile trail run up at my brother’s house near Sacramento, and a solid trainer ride watching Game of Thrones when we got home on Sunday.
 

 
  
My lesson from this experience is now to work on going with the flow and not be too frustrated when my week doesn’t unfold like I had planned on Sunday.  It’s definitely not easy for my Type A personality, but every day is a chance to learn something new, so I’m working on it!


Even the doggies were  tuckered out after my week!

No comments:

Post a Comment