Thursday, March 21, 2013

Autobiography



Since this is my first post, I figured I’ll give a little bio on myself.   My name is Allison, I am a 30 year old attorney from northern California.  I have been an athlete my whole life, playing any sport under the sun when I was little: gymnastics, soccer, t-ball, tennis, track, rock climbing, yoga, skiing/snowboarding, etc.  I kept active while in college, but my main involvement in sports was working for the athletic department at the University of Colorado – Go Buffaloes!  I returned to California for law school, and upon graduation, found myself in search of a fulfilling athletic endeavor.

Thanks to Facebook (surprisingly), I had kept in touch with one of my college friends who had joined Team in Training and completed the Rock and Roll Marathon in Arizona.  When I saw her posts, I figured, “I can do that,” and promptly signed up for the next season of Team in Training.  Thus began my foray into the world of endurance sports.  I completed 2 marathons in 2009, the Napa Marathon and the Marine Corps Marathon.   I continued running in 2010 and 2011, but only sporadically and didn’t sign up for any races. In early 2012, I reevaluated a bit, and re-dedicated myself to running, and fitness in general.  I signed up for a ½ marathon in May, ran my fastest time of 1:57:50, and placed 21st in my age group.   

Shortly after that race, I met the most amazing group of people and a community that has become a huge part of my life…FNS – Fitness Never Sleeps Training Center.  Aside from being an amazing training center, there is a huge focus on setting and achieving personal goals.  Well, I have always wanted to race a triathlon and found numerous reasons why I couldn’t...time, money, etc.  But after meeting with the coaches at FNS, my first goal was to purchase a bike, then to make 2013 my “year of the triathlon”.  

"Green Lantern"
In December, the time came…I bought a snazzy new bike, a stack of triathlon magazines, textbook sized training books, and have embarked upon a 16 week journey to train for the Wildflower Olympic Distance Tri on May 5.  I’m starting this blog about ½ way into that training, and I will mainly be looking forward, but I’ll make sure to share some memorable anecdotes…like my first few rides with clip-in pedals ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment